Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cuy





When I was in Peru I was not brave enough to try cuy and have always regretted it.  Since I had a second chance in Ecuador, I decided I had to try it.  Cuy is what we know as guinea pig.  It's an Ecuadorian delicacy and has been an important part of the Andean diet for years.   It is slowly roasted on an open fire pit and tastes a bit like pork and chicken, with a similar consistency to duck.   It took about 40 minutes to arrive and when we were served, it was arranged on the platter in five pieces.  I had encouraged my children to give it a try and was happy that they did!  Lindsay thought it was okay, I kind of liked it and Will was not very fond of the experience at all, however he did eat it!  It is one more experience that we'll never forget.

1 comment:

  1. I can hear em squealing all the way to Kentucky! Taste like chicken?

    ReplyDelete