Friday, January 7, 2011

Cleansing in the Market

My professor, Fausto, took me on a field trip to the market today. We watched as he told me all about their cleansing tradition.  I found it so interesting that Lindsay and I went back to check it out.   This ancient ceremony is performed to heal or cleanse your body and mind.  It heals or clears a person from bad spirits using chanting, herbs, flowers and eggs.  Fausto said it also helps those with asthma. You might not hear in the video but the woman is chanting all the time.  After smelling what is in the bottle, it is a normal practice that the woman then drinks some and then spits/sprays it on the body being healed. Lindsay said she didn't want that done so she didn't offer it to me (I was glad to miss that part).  This morning when I watched with Fausto, there were many, many children and babies having this ceremony done.  I don't know, but I AM feeling pretty good now...




                                            


1 comment:

  1. wowzers! That was one strange ceremony but I hope you are cleansed! That lady did look like she knew what she was doing. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete